Twelve artists from around the world were chosen to create the designs and the launch coincides with an Augmented Reality (AR) app called McDonald’s GOL! available from Monday (May 26).
Steve Easterbrook, senior executive VP/global chief brand officer, McDonald's, said it was the first time in its brand history it was changing the packaging design of its fries.
The app was created in collaboration with Qualcomm Connected Experiences and Trigger and shows the fry box as a goal and other built-in objects as obstacles. The idea is to "kick" the ball with the flick of a finger and divert or use obstacles to get the ball into the net.
Artists on the specially-designed fry boxes include:
- Australia: David Spencer, Artwork Title - 'The Perfect Kick'
- Brazil: Eduardo Kobra, Artwork Title - 'O mundo unido pelo futebol' (translation: 'The world united by football')
- Canada: Mügluc, Artwork Title - 'Unite Together'
- China: Hua Tunan, Artwork Title - 'World of Victory'
- England: Ben Mosley, Artwork Title - 'Fans of the World'
- France: Skwak, Artwork Title - 'The Maniac Football Party'
- Germany: Roman Klonek, Artwork Title - 'Freaky Fan Club'
- Japan: Doppel, Artwork Title - 'Kick the One'
- Russia: Egor Koshelev, Artwork Title - 'The Perfect Goal'
- South Africa: Adele Bantjes, Artwork Title - 'Heart of the Game'
- Spain: Martin Satí, Artwork Title - 'Flamenco Number One'
- USA: Tes One, Artwork Title - 'Formations'